Crescenza Cheese, Swiss Chard and Fingerling Potato Gratin from Emeril Lagasse
Recipe and Picture courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, courtesy of Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia, Inc
- 1 1/2 pounds Russian Banana fingerling potatoes cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, stems removed, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup Bellwether Crescenza cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces thick cut bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup heavy cream
Preheat oven to 350°.
Place potatoes in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender. Drain. Sprinkle potatoes evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt; set aside and keep warm.
Heat a small sauté pan over medium heat. Add butter and shallots; cook 2 minutes or until tender. Add the Swiss chard, cover with a lid and cook another 2 to 3 minutes or until wilted and tender.
Arrange half of potato slices in an 8-inch square baking dish brushed with butter. Add half the cheese, the sautéed shallots, Swiss chard, chives and the bacon over potato slices. Top with remaining potato slices and the remaining Crescenza cheese; sprinkle with Parmesan and drizzle with heavy cream.
Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and lightly browned.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings