- 2 cups Plain Bellwether Farms sheep’s milk yogurt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon of salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne
- Pinch of ground all spice
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1 stalk green onion, bottom finely chopped, top finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 large (about 14 ounces) red onion, quartered
In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, lemon zest, salt, white pepper, cumin, paprika, cayenne, allspice, cinnamon and green onion and stir to mix well. Divide the yogurt mixture in half. Place one half in a gallon-sized resealable plastic bag, along with the minced garlic and mix well. Add the chicken and seal the bag, removing as much air as possible. Make sure the chicken is well-coated by the marinade. Place on a small baking sheet and store in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 hours, or overnight. Reserve and store the other half of the yogurt mixture in the refrigerator (as a dipping sauce) until ready to use.
Soak 8 wooden skewers in water for about 30 minutes. Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium heat.
Break up the quartered red onion into layers of 2 to 3. Thread the chicken onto the skewers alternating with the red onion making sure not to cram the skewers. Season the kabobs with salt and pepper before placing on the grill. Cook until hatch marks appear and the chicken is cooked through, rotating about every 3 minutes for a total cook time of 15 to 20 minutes. Serve with the French Lentil Salad with Carmody Reserve and yogurt dipping sauce.
Yield: about 8 kabobs, 4 servings